Access to DiRAC is co-ordinated by The STFC’s DiRAC Resource Allocation Committee, which puts out an annual Call for Full Proposals to request time and operates a Seedcorn Time programme for small requests.
Director’s Discretionary Proposals
This Call is now closed.
The DiRAC Director invites the UK theory and modelling communities in Astrophysics, Particle Physics and Nuclear Physics to apply for Director’s Discretionary Proposals for computational resources on the STFC DiRAC HPC Facility.
More information can be found here.
More information on our Seedcorn Time programme can be found here.
Full Call for Proposals
For each Full Call for Proposals the RAC produces a set of documentation that includes a number of forms that every applicant must complete. They also provide a comprehensive set of guidance notes.
11th Call for Full Applications (current call)
The 11th Call opened on the 9th July 2018. The Call will close on the 1st October 2018 and allocations will begin on 1st April 2019. Key dates for the STFC’s internal processing of applications will be posted here later in the summer.
The RAC publishes a new set of documentation for each Call and the Announcement, Forms and Guidance Notes for the 11th Call are below.
- RAC 11th Call Announcement
- RAC 11th Call Guidance Notes
- RAC 11th Call Application Form
- RAC 11th Call Technical Assessment Form
- RAC 11th Call Technical Scoring Matrix
- RAC 11th Call Research Software Engineering Request Form
- RAC 11th Call Technical Description of the Services
Please note that the submission address for the Technical Assessment Form has changed since the forms were first posted on the 9th of July. The submission address is now:
The submission address for all other documentation, including the Call Application Form & RSE Request Form, has not changed and remains: DiRACRAC@stfc.ac.uk
The Key Changes implemented in the 11th Call include:
- Applicants must have submitted and discussed a technical assessment (per proposal) with the DiRAC TWG;
- Applicants will only be considered if this has been initiated a month before the closing date of 1st October 2018 (i.e. the technical assessment must be submitted by 1st September 2018).
- No single application can request more than 80% of the availability of a DiRAC machine within a given year;
- Currently existing Thematic proposals can submit proposals with the following options;
- Applications with scientific themes distinct from the existing award can be submitted as a separate proposal.
- Applications building on the same scientific theme as an existing award should apply as a new project, this new award would then replace any existing compute award. Applications in this category are expected to be observed if significant new resources become available which would greatly effect a project, or if significant scientific developments warrant a project update. PI’s requesting for a revised or updated long project must justify this request fully; the RAC will take into account all currently active projects which hold a comparable science case. This method cannot be used to top-up an existing project award if there is no change in the science case.
- The application and scoring matrix has been updated to include a strong emphasis on Project Management and Data Management Plans;
- Research Software Engingeering Request Forms should be submitted with the Call Application Form, on or before the Call Closing date of 1st October.
- The above changes and a number of smaller changes have been implemented and can be seen in the revised RAC 11th Call Guidance Notes.
10th Call Application Documentation (closed)
The 10th Call for Proposals closed on 14th November 2017 and the allocations started on the 1st May 2018. The awards from the 10th Call are available here.
The forms and guidance from the 10th Call for Proposals (closed) are below. The RAC publishes a new set of documentation for each call.
- RAC 10th Call Application Guidance Notes
- RAC 10th Call Resource Application Form
- RAC 10th Call Technical Assessment Form
- RAC 10th Call Request for Software Engineering Resource Form
For all other enquiries please contact our Project Office